Alpe Adria cycle path
Across the Alps from VILLACH to GRADO - classic
The starting point of this cycling tour is Villach, situated on the edge of the Klagenfurt basin, where the rivers Drau and Gail flow together. After a few kilometres of cycling, however, it's time to say goodbye to Austria before the bike tour continues in Italy.
The Friuli Venezia Giulia region not only offers a variety of landscapes, but also invites you to a tour of a foray into the cultural diversity of the region. This mix of cultures is also reflected in the cuisine: Alpine-Austrian, Slovenian and Venetian influences characterize the gastronomic offer of the region.
Leaving the peaks of the Carnic Alps far behind you, you cycle on the south side of the Alps towards the sea and in front of you stretches the coast of the Adriatic Sea with miles of sandy beaches.
- Old town of Villach
- Madonna di Lussari, Tarvis
- Railroad path Pontebbana
- Cathedral in the old town of Gemona
- Gemona del Friuli
- Piazza della Libertà, Udine
- Basilica with baptistery, archaeological sites - UNESCO World Heritage Site, Aquileia
- Sunny island and historic fishing town Grado
- Routing on mostly well-maintained bike paths and low-traffic side roads
Suitable for families with children from the age of approx. 14 years (appropriate cycling enthusiasm required)
- Every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday from April 22nd to October 1st 2023
- 6 days | 5 nights (incl. days of arrival and departure)
- Stretch trip - approx. 210 cycling kilometres
- Individual cycling trip
- From 2 persons (single travellers on application)
Welcome to Villach, an important hub in the Alpe Adria region, which is known for its thermal springs and warm bathing lakes in alpine surroundings. It’s popular beyond the borders.
Following the river Gail, you leave Villach behind, and soon you say goodbye to Austria and hello to Italy. In the border triangle of Italy-Austria-Slovenia stretches the Canal valley, the centre of which is the Italian border town of Tarvis. Surrounded by dense forests and vast valleys, Tarvis presents itself traditional and cosmopolitan with regard to the "completely normal" use of the European language families Germanic, Slavic and Romanic. This openness is also reflected in the regional cuisine.
The Alpe Adria cycle route continues in the Canal valley following the course of the impressive former Pontebbana-train track and from the saddle of your bike you can enjoy the attraction of this section and the beauty of the Friulian and Julian Alpine region. Medieval villages, charmingly nestled against the hills and slopes of the fading Alps, characterize the landscape at the southern exit of the Canal valley and are ideal for a leisurely stroll through the winding alleys.
In the delta of one of the last wild rivers of the Alps, the Tagliamento, you continue cycling through the Friulian hills. Magnificent hills full of lush vines line your path and invite you to taste the local wines.
The Venetian-influenced city of Udine exudes peace and tranquillity, while sipping a coffee at the "piazza" or during a stroll through the city centre, you can admire important buildings of the late Gothic and Renaissance.
Today's cycling tour takes you through the flat landscape of the northern Italian plain. Impressive cities such as the star-shaped Palmanova and Aquileia, once known as one of the most powerful cities of the Mediterranean and famous for its valuable historical archaeological sites, lie on your way.
Accompanied by a breeze from the Scirocco, you will glide past reed beds and water canals and reach Grado, a historically important fishing town and one of the most popular seaside resorts of the northern Adriatic Sea.
Included Services | Price per Person | Extras
- Overnight stays including breakfast in guesthouses and hotels of the 3- and 4-star category
- Luggage transport from accommodation to accommodation
- Detailed travel documents (route maps, route description, sights, important telephone numbers)
- Navigation-App, GPS data on demand
- Phone service daily from 8:30 am to 6:30 pm
- Not included services: everything not explicitly mentioned under the point "Included services" (e.g.: Travel to the return at the end of the tour; drinks, tourist tax and all extras; lunch, dinner; entrance fees not mentioned; bicycle rental and travel insurance).
Price per person
|Accommodation in a double room * (22.04. & 01.10.)||EUR||599,00|
|Accommodation in a double room * (23.04.-16.06. & 10.09.-30.09.)||EUR||699,00|
|Accommodation in a double room * (17.06.-09.09.)||EUR||739,00|
|Single room surcharge||EUR||229,00|
|Rental of 21-gear touring bicycle||EUR||89,00|
|Rental of Pedelec/E-Bike||EUR||199,00|
|Extra night in Villach in DR/B&B *||EUR||79,00|
|Extra night in Villach in SR/B&B *||EUR||104,00|
|Extra night in Grado in DR/B&B *||EUR||89,00|
|Extra night in Grado im in SR/B&B *||EUR||124,00|
|Transfer Grado-Villach (every Fri, Sun)||EUR||108,00|
|* Any local taxes that may be due are not included and are payable locally|